Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios

My Sweet Angel

My Sweet Angel
4/6/09 4:45 pm 4 lbs 1 oz 17 inches

Friday, April 15, 2011

Butterflies and raindrops!

For centuries, the world has latched on to the image of the butterfly, using its metamorphosis from a caterpillar as a metaphor for death and rebirth. In brighter terms, it means "Don't worry, be at peace, the great circle of life continues on."
The butterfly exists in four distinct forms.  Some argue that people do as well:  The fertilized egg is planted in our mother's womb.  From our day of birth we are like the caterpillar which can only eat and creep along.  At death we are like the dormant pupa in its chrysalis.  After that, our consciousness emerges from the cast off body, and some see in this the emergence of the butterfly.  Therefore, the butterfly is symbolic of rebirth after death.  
In many countries the soul was represented by a butterfly leaving the body at the time of death.
To Christians, the three stages of the butterfly's metamorphoses are symbolic of the three stages in the life cycle of Christ and the Christian. The caterpillar's non-stop eating and excremating reminds us of normal earthly life where people are often preoccupied with taking care of their physical needs. The chrysalis or cocoon resembles the tomb and the butterfly represents the resurrection into a new and glorious life free of material concerns and restrictions.
Another reassuring fact of butterflies in relation to the death of a loved one is that butterflies do not decay or rot.  Their beautiful colors, if kept dry can remain for many decades.
No matter how it is reached, the butterfly is a symbol of change for the better.



"How does one become a butterfly?", Pooh asked pensively.
"You must want to fly. So much that you're willing to give up being a caterpillar", Piglet replied.
"You mean die?" asked Pooh.
"Yes and no" he answered. "What looks like you die. But really, you live on" 


 
Many years ago (5 or so), my oldest daughter made this butterfly magnet craft for me for mother's day.  It has hung on the side of my refrigerator since without incident.  On April 6, as I was putting something away near there, it fell.  I was so incredibly overcome with happiness at the thought of my sweet Elise sending me a sign.   





Last year, on Elise's first Angelversary I ordered live butterflies and released them with friends and family around the tree that we planted in her honor in our yard.  This year, I ordered a kit from Amazon and "grew" my own.  It was really neat to see these tiny caterpillars grow larger and larger and then become chrysalises before emerging as caterpillars.  I watched them everyday, several times a day.  On April 5, the day before Elise's Angelversary, I saw that 2 butterflies had in fact emerged.  What a glorious sign it was.  By the next day, April 6, all 5 had emerged!


 


I wanted to enjoy the butterflies in our home for a bit and then release them.

Finally, On Monday, April 11 the weather was warm and dry enough to do so.

We took the net to Elise's tree again and each child got to hold and release a butterfly.











This was written by my 14 year old the night after we let the butterflies go:

Call me crazy..

So, Elise, I'm sitting on my roof talking to you last night right? Which has become an unusual but nonetheless weekly thing for me. I'm feeling pretty frustrated because I never got to hold you or see you or know you. I start questioning your very existence, which i know is wrong, being your sister and everything. But I couldn't help it. And contrary to my beliefs, I ask you for a sign, some kind of indication that you're there, and listening to me, and that I'm not as psychotic as I feel. Please, I ask, just something to let me know you're there and you're okay. I sit for 5 seconds, just waiting. And what happens? It starts raining, it took me a minute to realize, but it was a steady little rain. I thought maybe it was just me, imagining things, but I feel 3 little raindrops on the back of my hand, like tear drops falling from the sky. And as soon as I realize what is happening, it stops. As abruptly as it started, it ended. Some may say its coincidence, others might say I'm just imagining things. But Elise, I know it was you, and I can now sit in peace knowing you're really up there and watching over me. Thank you for a little magic, a little hope, and a lot of faith.

                                                                I Love You Baby Sister<3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright ©2011 Small Bird Studios| All Rights Reserved |Free Blog Templates at Small Bird Studios